[CentOS] LUKS full disk Encryption question

Devin Reade gdr at gno.org
Sat Jan 7 23:56:52 UTC 2012

Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs> wrote:

> What will be the performance impact on my Celeron 1.73 GHz CPU and/or
> hdd speed?

Well, the usual "it depends on your [exact] environment" is the real answer.

However from a subjective perspective I've found that the only time
that I've really noticed a performance impact is during lots of I/O,
such as a *large* tarball extraction. (Presumably writing a large file
would be similar.) Eclipse, for example, touches a huge amount of files
but encryption on the underyling filesystem is not generally noticable.
It can be more noticable on a single core, single thread CPU.

If you have a server doing significant continuous I/O, probably
benchmarking is the only reasonable way to tell.

Devin
--
	There's too much blood in my caffeine system.