[CentOS] upgrade of 32bit to 64 bit CentOS 5.7

Rob Kampen

rkampen at kampensonline.com
Sun Jan 8 04:30:21 UTC 2012

Hi List,
Early in dec I was forced to upgrade one of my server systems -
initially built in 2004 on an intel server mb it finally failed.
Under some time pressure, I replaced the mb etc with a 64 bit asus
system and did a repair of the linux system upon reboot with a 64 bit DVD.
As one can imagine there were some headaches as the kernel was now 64
bit, but yum and friends were still 32 bit.
I managed to upgrade the required packages to 64 bit, rebooted the
server a few times and all appeared to function ok.
BTW the server runs bind, apache, postfix, dovecot, mysql, php and
related stuff.

I have now relocated the server in a lights off situation and myself to
the other side of the planet.
Why all the history - well as I ssh into the box and do my weekly yum
updates, I find that there have been no updates, however all my other
servers have had multiple updates.

Thus I did a rpm -qa and find there are only 65 rpm files listed - they
are all 64 bit or noarch - none of the core server files are present.

How do I systematically update all the files from 32 bit to 64 bit?
As I am unable to physically get in front of this machine, I have zero
room for error - and need the machine to be up and operating each
business day.
My google searches have not given me any hits that help.
Any help, directions, things to be aware off etc - appreciated.
TIA