[CentOS] sa-update error with perl

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr
Mon Jan 9 09:16:21 UTC 2012

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>>> can you try to disable ipv6, then reboot and see if you still get the
>>> error message?
>> Sorry, it's a production machine, I'd rather not do that.  I can make small
>> changes but a reboot--   Beside, if this is the set of packages CentOS
>> gives me when I install something like spamassassin, it seems like
>> they should work no matter what.   But don't get me wrong, I really
>> appreciate your suggestion.
>>

> It is not the CentOS packages causing your issues.  I told you already
> that I have spamassassin running with these packages with no problems:
> [root at localhost ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i perl | sort
<snip>
> The issue you are having, based on the error that you posted, is that
> something else is already providing the subroutine
> "Net::DNS::Resolver::Base::AF_INET6" when it is trying to be loaded by
> perl module provided by CentOS (perl-Net-DNS-0.59-3.el5.i386).  What we
> do not know is what ELSE is providing that routine.
>
> Since I have the same 3 RPMs installed that you are quoting as the
> potential issue, and since I am not having the dual subroutine issue,
> that implies that the "SOMETHING ELSE" providing the other
> "Net::DNS::Resolver::Base::AF_INET6" is not any of the packages that I
> have installed.
>
> So, I would say that this issue must be caused by the intermixing of
> perl modules from other than CentOS repositories.
>
> Can anyone reproduce this issue without .rf. or .rfx. perl modules
> installed?

I have seen this same issue, but on a system where I am a user, so I
can't experiment much. I tried to reproduce it on one of my systems and
could not.
The only perl package from rf[x] on the system with the issue is
perl-NetAddr-IP-4.044-1.el5.rf.x86_64. Installing that on my test system
does not exhibit the problem, but the test system has ipv6 disabled.

What I get on the problem system is eg:
$ sa-learn --spam .0spam/cur/
Subroutine IO::Socket::INET6::AF_INET6 redefined at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/Exporter.pm line 65.
  at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/IO/Socket/INET6.pm line 16
Subroutine Net::DNS::Resolver::Base::AF_INET6 redefined at
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/Exporter.pm line 65.
  at
/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/Net/DNS/Resolver/Base.pm
line 66
Learned tokens from 0 message(s) (2 message(s) examined)

There are many similar issues on google. It seems to be just noise
though, and spamassassin still appears to function properly.