[CentOS] No sound over HDMI using nvidia graphics card

Tait Clarridge tait at taiter.com
Mon Jan 9 15:39:34 UTC 2012

> Under gnome control panel, all seems ok: under sound preferences, sound
> output is configured to use HDMI channel.
>
> I am using nvidia drivers from elrepo.org (nvidia-x11-drv-290.10
> and kmod-nvidia-290.10). Somebody knows where can I find some doc to
> resolve this? Any idea?

I recall doing this on Fedora 14 for my HTPC so it should be similar or
at least point you in the right direction. I wrote something for it
(GeForce 210) here:

http://taiter.com/techlog/2010/07/nvidia-gt210---hdmi-audio.html

I remember having to update the alsa-driver package to something newer
than what was default via ATrpms repo. I believe you need version 1.0.23
or newer for it to work (version can be checked by looking
at /proc/asound/version).

Then I had to go into alsamixer and unmute the line.

Tait