[CentOS] USB install annoyances

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Jan 9 18:18:56 UTC 2012

On 01/09/12 6:09 AM, John Doe wrote:
> Works fine here...
> On some PCs/servers the key is sdb...

the days of relying on /dev/sd? are long past.

'scsi' devices renumber themselves on every boot.     case in point,
server I'm configuring now... has a LSI mptsas card with 2 disks
mirrored for the OS and a megasas2 card with a large raid.   when it
first came, the megaraid had 2 raids on it, /dev/sda and /dev/sdb and
the OS on the mpt card was on /dev/sdc .... I deleted these two raids
and rebooted.   now the OS was on /dev/sda ... I then defined a new
larger raid60 on the megaraid, this was /dev/sdb   then I rebooted and
the megaraid was /dev/sda and the boot drive was /dev/sdb

I chose to mount my raid volume with uuid

    |parted /dev/sda ||"mklabel gpt"|
    |parted -a optimal /dev/sda ||"mkpart primary 128k -1s"|
    |mkfs.xfs -f /dev/sda1|
    |uuid=$(xfs_admin -u /dev/sda1 | awk ||'{print $3}'||)   # get the UUID|
    |echo ||"uuid=$uuid /data      xfs     defaults        1 2"| |>
    /etc/fstab|
    |mkdir /data|
    |mount /data|

as I had no need for LVM on this configuration, but

I have to say, I like Solaris's traditional disk numbering,
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 is channel 0, target 0, device 0, lun 0.   the channel
numbering is generally constant in a given system if you don't juggle IO
cards around.