[CentOS] USB install annoyances

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Jan 9 19:00:48 UTC 2012

On 01/09/12 10:33 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> So we use labels. I*loathe*  UUIDs. Quick, tell my yours on one system
> without looking (as would be the case if the drive crashed).

from my rescue environment, I'd use:  xfs_admin -u /dev/xxxx
(or the somewhat messier ext? equiv)

labels get messy too, when you have 27 systems and a half dozen file
systems each.  you want your labels globally unique so if you plug a
volume into another system for repair there's no collisions.   our
hostnames tend to be messy and nearly as unreadable as a uuid, so
embedding them in a label wouldn't actually be much help.

my install instructions for this server config ($job work in progress)
currently read...

     mkfs.xfs -f /dev/sda1
     uuid=$(xfs_admin -u /dev/sda1 | awk '{print $3}')   # get the UUID
     echo "UUID=$uuid /data      xfs     defaults        1 2" >> /etc/fstab
     mkdir /data
     mount /data