[CentOS] yum-priorities behavior with downgrades [was: sa-update error with perl]

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Jan 10 06:04:20 UTC 2012

On 01/09/2012 09:59 PM, Anthony wrote:
> On 2012-01-10 14:13, email builder wrote:
> <snip>
>> If I already have a bunch of packages from RepoForge, some of which
>> might also be in the CentOS repo (some presumably with lower version
>> numbers), what happens after installing and configuring
>> yum-priorities?
>>
>> Do those packages automatically get downgraded?  Does yum complain
>> and tell me I should downgrade?  I assume upgrades would happen per
>> usual if there are newer versions of packages in CentOS repo.
>>
>> I'm slightly concerned because I have a handful of packages that got
>> installed automatically from RepoForge when I installed amavisd-new
>> from there, and I'd hate to break something.
> If the packages are _NEWER_ than those in CentOS, then no, they will
> not be overwritten.
>
> You might also consider installing yum-protectbase.
>
> You'd then have to make a conscious effort to overwrite the base
> packages!
You need to do the same thing with yum-priorities as well ... basically,
yum-protectbase and yum-priorities are the same thing, with protectbase
having 2 priority groups (1 and 0) with priorities has 99 priority
groups (99 down to 1).  I would use yum-priorities and not yum-protectbase.

In both cases, you are not going to be told about packages already
installed that are newer than those in the CentOS.

You can find those RPMs though by doing this:

rpm -qa | egrep "\.rf" | sort

that will tell you all repoforge rpms installed ... then do this to see
which ones also have duplicates from base or updates:

yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=base --enablerepo=updates
--showduplicates list all $(rpm -q --qf '%{name} ' $(rpm -qa | grep "\.rf"))

That should work to tell you which .rf packages are also in base or
updates.