[CentOS] Upgrade Question

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Jan 10 19:35:17 UTC 2012

Gene Poole wrote:
> We've got about 200 existing servers running CentOS/RHEL 5.6 and all new
> servers are being provisioned using CentOS/RHEL 6.1.  So that everything
> is consistent we need to upgrade the servers running CentOS/RHEL 5.6. I've
> searched the CentOS wiki, the Red Hat site, and the internet  looking for
> something official on upgrading/migrating from CentOS/RHEL 5.x to
> CentOS/RHEL 6.x.  There's got to be a way other than having 2 times
> hardware.
>
> Any ideas???

What we do is build one, then create /boot/new and /new on the next
server, rsync over to them, then mkdir /boot/old and /old, and (using zsh
with modules loaded) mv * old, mv old/lost+found ., mv old/new/* ., make
sure a few things are correct (for example, ifcfg-eth*, /etc/ssh/), and
sync, then reboot. All your other stuff is fine....

      mark