[CentOS] centos6.2, parted and alignment

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 20:33:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 1:56 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

>> Having the X libs installed so you can run a gui program with a remote
>> display doesn't bother a server much.  And it's sometimes handy to be
>> able to run wireshark like that if you need to peek at a few packets
>> in real time.
>
> painfully slow over a remote link.   if I need to sniff traffic, I'll
> use tcpdump.   if I need fancier analysis, I'll tcpdump it to a file,
> and scp the file to my local system and analyze it with wireshark.

I normally have at least one box per location (at least per location
with slow networking...) where I can park a freenx desktop session.
Then I can connect to that with NX (which runs over ssh).  And from
there I can work mostly in xterms ssh'd to the other nearby systems.
The advantages are that the desktop stays stable with all open windows
even when I disconnect and reconnect (even across different
locations/OS's on the connecting NX client), and that starting GUI
programs in those xterms opens a very nicely performing window on my
NX client, wherever that might be.

> also, I'm documenting a procedure for operations that I'm trying to
> automate and simplify as much as possible...    And, having to explain
> how to setup a remote X session, then how to do something with
> pointy-clicky would be painful, a one line command replaced with pages
> of screenshots?  ugh.

Different mindset, maybe.  While I'd prefer a text line that I can
cut/paste even if it is long and complicated,  other people here are
mostly used to windows and expect screenshots in the docs and
drop-down picklists for options.  Anyway, I think it is worth setting
up freenx/NX even to run a bunch of xterms, and once you have it, GUI
programs work too.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com