[CentOS] USB install annoyances

Darr247 darr247 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 22:53:23 UTC 2012

m.roth spake thusly:
> I started by listing that:
> 1. I have a partitioned USB stick, 8G, with a 10M FAT32 partition, and the
> rest as ext3.
> 2. Rsync'd isolinux to the FAT partition, renamed isolinux.cfg to
> syslinux.cfg
> 3. syslinux to the USB
> 4. mounted DVD.iso, and rsync'd all of that to the ext3 partition.
> 5. mounted the second DVD, and rsync'd Packages/* to the Packages
> directory already there, and so have a 1 DVD, effectively, on the USB.
>
> But the question is what image# 1 that it's looking for? It's not trying
> to look on the USB for an .iso, is it?
>
>        mark

I did not see that synopsis in your original post (and I'm not sure I could figure out what commands you used by that).
The only 2 replies to this thread I saw in digest 84 issue 9 were to John Doe.

Anyway, this is what I have in my notes, though I see you've marked this as solved...

mostly assuming sdb as the USB device.

>From blank USB stick to bootable install:

yum install livecd-tools syslinux
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1000
parted /dev/sdb mklabel msdos
parted /dev/sdb mkpartfs p ext2 0% 100%
tune2fs -m0 /dev/sdb1

parted /dev/sdb toggle 1 boot
umount /dev/sdb1
livecd-iso-to-disk <path to>/DVD.iso /dev/sdb1

mkdir /mnt/iso
mount -o loop <path to>/DVD.iso /mnt/iso
mkdir /media/<usb stick>/images
cp /mnt/iso/images/install.img /media/<usb stick>/images/
cp <path to>/DVD.iso /media/<usb stick>/

TEST:
qemu -m 512 /dev/sdb

I guess I should add
yum install qemu
to my notes, as I don't think that's installed by default.

But using livecd-iso-to-disk makes it NOT ask for the image file location during the install. Try it.  :-)

Personally, I think they should've named it bootable-iso-tools, but everyone's probably used to the livecd-tools name by now.