[CentOS] Is avahi essential?

Timothy Murphy

gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Jan 11 00:51:51 UTC 2012

I've been getting a few avahi-daemon errors in /var/log/messages, eg
-------------------------------
Jan 11 00:40:24 helen avahi-daemon[12732]: Invalid query packet.
Jan 11 00:40:29 helen last message repeated 17 times

(This is on a CentOS-5.7 server.)

So I looked up avahi on the web, but as far as I could see
it is not doing anything essential;
so I was wondering if stopping avahi-daemon would have any bad effect?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net