[CentOS] SELinux and access across 'similar types'

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Jan 11 18:06:49 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:06:31 PM Les Mikesell wrote:
> I was thinking more of Ford getting people to forget about the Pinto -
> which I think they have done fairly successfully although it may just
> have to do with aging memory.  Let's see, that was around 1980.
> Maybe I'll try Fedora again in 30 years.

'Unsafe at any speed'

Still not a great analogy, though, since the Pinto (and the Corvair) were oriented towards the normal user; Fedora is more of a 'concept car' thing.

SELinux and kin are much like seatbelts; they can save your life in a crash, but people tend to worry about the annoyances and the corner cases like that of being trapped underwater (the pressure on the door is a bigger problem than a stuck seatbelt, as Mythbusters demonstrated to good effect....).

And seatbelt latches have gotten better.....