[CentOS] Is Amanda "vaulting" what I need for archiving data?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Jan 11 20:07:23 UTC 2012

Hey, Alan,

Alan McKay wrote:
<snip>
> gtar on the back end, which is how I ended up at Amanda.  In looking
> through some of the initial configuration how-tos it seemed as though this
> was massively over-complex for my application.  But then I hit upon
> "vaulting"
>
> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/How_To:Copy_Data_from_Volume_to_Volume
<snip>
> Basically I work in a scientific research lab (stem cell research) where
> the scientists produce a fair bit of raw data.   We want to periodically
> take the data and archive it to tape and then remove it from disk and
> store the tape in our archival facility.  We'd need a record of what is
<snip>
For one thing, I think you seriously need to look at backup up to offline
hard drives, instead of tapes. Unless you really want/need to archive the
tapes for seven years, or whatever, legally, tapes are not the preferred
solution these days: they're very slow to use for recovery, and h/d's are
large and fast, and still cheap.

We back up to backup servers, then, every couple of weeks, I run rsync
backups (well, we have a locally-rolled system to run the rsync) onto
offline drives - in our case, I swap large drives into an eSATA drive bay.
When I'm done, they go in the fire safe.

I will note that I work for a US federal agency who I shouldn't mention (I
do not speak for the agency or my employer), and our division generates a
lot of data, also: easily half a terabyte for one user, and a number for
the group that does protein folding....

         mark