[CentOS] Is Amanda "vaulting" what I need for archiving data?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 21:18:39 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 2:40 PM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com> wrote:

>> For one thing, I think you seriously need to look at backup up to offline
>> hard drives, instead of tapes. Unless you really want/need to archive the
>> tapes for seven years
>

> Well, the scientists are talking longer than 7 years so HDs just are not
> going to cut it

I'd be hard pressed to find a tape drive that could read any tape I've
written that long ago.

>> We back up to backup servers, then, every couple of weeks, I run rsync
>> backups (well, we have a locally-rolled system to run the rsync) onto
>> offline drives - in our case, I swap large drives into an eSATA drive bay.
>> When I'm done, they go in the fire safe.
>>

> That's what I'd prefer to do :-)

You probably need to look at how you identify things first to see if
any existing archive approach maps onto that well enough or has a
searchable online index so you would know which tape to restore when
someone asks for old data.

Personally I always think of backuppc first for backups because it can
hold so much more online, but it isn't great at archiving.  You can
make a standard tar image out of anything it has stored, but for
anything but the latest run it would take some command line options or
selecting it through a web browser.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com