[CentOS] bug submission justified for distribution of obsolete java software?

Ross Walker rswwalker at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 23:52:47 UTC 2012

On Jan 12, 2012, at 11:30 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> You can never count on free future support or additions to anything
> and java isn't an exception, but how can anything that works now on
> current openjdk (which includes most open source java apps and
> libraries) be locked in?

Ok, I may be defending what is ultimately a losing argument here (there must be a word for that), but bear with me while I try and define my point better.

What I am trying to say is that developing on ANY platform, hardware specific OR software specific is by definition locking one's self into that platform. If that software platform isn't available on all hardware your locked out of that hardware.

For example Flash was thought of as a universal media platform, but then along came Apple with it's iPhone and all of a sudden those media applications weren't so universal.

-Ross