[CentOS] [SOLVED] blue screen instead of login screen

Frank Cox theatre at melvilletheatre.com
Fri Jan 13 05:16:22 UTC 2012

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 12:56:40 -0600
Frank Cox wrote:

> I think this machine has a much larger virtual screen than the physical
> screen.  How can I match the virtual screen size to the physical size?

I've finally found the solution to this problem with one small aesthetic issue
remaining.

THE SOLUTION
I changed the colour depth to 16 by putting a file named 10-monitor.conf
into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. Everything now works and looks (mostly) like it
should.

This is 10-monitor.conf:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "intel"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1920x1080"
EndSubSection
EndSection

THE REMAINING MINOR ISSUE
For some reason, the upper left two-thirds of the desktop background is darker
than the rest of the desktop background.  It's easier to show than to explain
how it looks, so anyone interested can view it here:

http://www.melvilletheatre.com/1920x1024screenshot.png

The gdm login screen looks pretty much exactly the same, with the darker
background on the upper left.

I tried changing the background to a different picture but the result was the
same -- still a dark side on the desktop.

Any window placed on the desktop looks normal; the dark effect is only on the
desktop background(and the login screen).  So I guess I can live with this if I
have to, but if anyone knows how to get rid of that effect I'm all ears.