[CentOS] LSI/3ware 9750-4i and multipath I/O

Vahan Yerkanian vahan at arminco.com
Fri Jan 13 14:41:24 UTC 2012

On Jan 13, 2012, at 6:33 PM, Ross Walker wrote:

> On Friday, January 13, 2012, Vahan Yerkanian <vahan at arminco.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone has successfully configured two lsi/3ware 9750-4i series controllers for multipathing under CentOS 5.7 x86_64?
>>
>> I've tried some basic setups with both multibus and failover settings, and had repeatable filesystem corruption over a iscsi(tgtd) or nfs3 connection.
>
> Have you tried multipathd?
>
> -Ross

Yes, sorry I should've been more clear. I have configured the multipathing using the multipathd using the bare-bone configuration, as it didn't have LSI/3Ware controller-specific preset in the devices {} block.

What I did was based on the [1] and in the end consisted of this (I thinned it down in the end trying to find the culprit) multipath.conf:

blacklist {
        devnode "sda" # the boot disk
}

defaults {
        user_friendly_names     yes
}

multipaths {
        multipath {
		alias storage
                wwid 3600050c000015400f3ae000009040000
                path_grouping_policy multibus
        }
}

multipath -ll showed everything OK, with both sdb and sdc (the same 24 x 3tb raid6 array) as active and ready.

However no matter what I did, the filesystem is getting corrupted in 3-4 hours of active usage...

[1] http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/pdf/DM_Multipath/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-5-DM_Multipath-en-US.pdf