[CentOS] sendmail deferred

Ismail Ozatay

ismailozatay at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 14:54:21 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I having a problem with my sendmail server running on centos 5.7 x64.
Sometimes when  we send an email to microsoft exchange servers, sendmail
says deferred or timeout. I do not know what is happening. Here is some
details;

[root at avgw ~]# sendmail -v -qRxxx at xxx.gov.qa

Running /var/spool/mqueue/q0B7caw9023076 (sequence 1 of 2)
<xxx at xxx.gov.qa>... Connecting to smtp.xxx.gov.qa. via esmtp...
220 mail.xxx.gov.qa Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at Fri, 13 Jan
2012 16:37:28 +0300
 >>> EHLO avgw.yyy.com
250-mail.xxx.gov.qa Hello [95.9.x.x]
250-SIZE 10485760
250-PIPELINING
250-DSN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-AUTH
250-8BITMIME
250-BINARYMIME
250 CHUNKING
 >>> MAIL From:<xxx at yyy.com> SIZE=939155
250 2.1.0 Sender OK
 >>> RCPT To:<xxx at xxx.gov.qa>
 >>> DATA
250 2.1.5 Recipient OK
354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
timeout writing message to smtp2.xxx.gov.qa.: Connection reset by
smtp2.xxx.gov.qa.
<xxx at xxx.gov.qa>... Deferred

[root at avgw ~]# telnet smtp2.xxx.gov.qa 25
Trying 89.211.40.246...
Connected to smtp2.xxx.gov.qa (89.211.x.x).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.xxx.gov.qa Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service ready at Fri, 13 Jan
2012 17:54:56 +0300

It seems everything is ok but i do not know what is the problem with
exchange communication. Has anybody experienced this issue?

Regards