[CentOS] Is avahi essential?

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Fri Jan 13 18:27:29 UTC 2012

On 01/11/2012 05:10 PM, Florin Andrei wrote:
> Wait a sec, I have that setup (just mediatomb instead of ps3mediaserver)
> and there's no avahi on my network. Yet the PS3 is perfectly capable of
> discovering and using the DLNA server.

Avahi allows the workstation running it to advertise and solicit mDNS
information.  Your mediatomb and PS3 are running software that does the
same thing that Avahi does.

mDNS is peer-to-peer.  By design, it does not need a centralized server.
  Avahi does not enable mDNS on the network (as a server), it enables
your workstation to participate (as a peer).