[CentOS] Is avahi essential?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 18:42:59 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com> wrote:
> On 01/11/2012 05:40 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I must admit I'm rather confused by UPnP.
>
> UPnP is something completely different.  That protocol allows devices
> behind a NAT router to request that it open a port forward to them.  It
> is commonly used by game consoles to open the ports required for online
> gaming services.

It is also a subset of DLNA and was used before the DLNA standard (if
you want to call it that) for media services.  So much is optional in
the DLNA standard that you can't count on any two things to
interoperate anyway.  I think most of the network media stuff is done
by people who really want you to keep buying DVDs and Blu-ray discs so
it is intentionally disfunctional.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com