[CentOS] NOUVEAU driver video acceleration

Mark LaPierre marklapier at aol.com
Mon Jan 16 02:57:28 UTC 2012

On 01/15/2012 09:34 PM, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> On Sunday 15 January 2012 10:58:35 Mark LaPierre wrote:
>> My Xorg.0.log file says:
> [snip]
>> [ 64601.469]    GeForce 6       (NV4x)
>> [ 64601.474] (--) NOUVEAU(0): Chipset: "NVIDIA NV4b"
>>
>> I have no xorg.conf file.
>>
>> I have a GeForce 7 (G7x) chip set on my video card.  The NOUVEAU driver
>> is misidentifying my chip set.
>
> No, it is not. The GeForce 7 family is the NV40 family, and your specific card
> appears to be NV4B. Refer to
>
>     http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/CodeNames
>
> for details.
>
>> I suspect that this is a major part of
>> the reason why video acceleration is not working.
>
> I doubt. For the general review about what is supported by Nouveau for the
> NV40 family (and other families), refer to the Nouveau feature matrix, at
>
>     http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix
>
> However, I am not sure how much of the current driver's functionality is
> actually present in the kernel module that comes with CentOS. You didn't
> specify which version of CentOS you use, but at best (CentOS 6.x) the kernel
> is from Fedora 12 timeframe. I am not familiar if all the features and bugfixes
> that have been introduced to Nouveau since that time are actually backported
> to the CentOS kernel. Not sure if it is even possible. YMMV.
>
> If you absolutely need 3D acceleration, maybe take a look at the nvidia
> proprietary drivers --- you can find CentOS-packaged yum-installable rpm's in
> elrepo (or was it rpmforge?)...
>
> HTH, :-)
> Marko

I enabled both epel and rpmforge.

[root at mushroom yum.repos.d]# yum install nvidia*
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
  * base: centos.aol.com
  * epel: archive.linux.duke.edu
  * extras: mirror.cs.vt.edu
  * rpmforge: ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de
  * rpmfusion-free-updates: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
  * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: mirror.us.leaseweb.net
  * updates: centos.aol.com
Setting up Install Process
No package nvidia* available.
Error: Nothing to do
[root at mushroom yum.repos.d]#

Do you know what the name of the nvidia driver rpm might be?

[root at mushroom yum.repos.d]# uname -a
Linux mushroom.patch 2.6.32-220.2.1.el6.i686 #1 SMP Thu Dec 22 18:50:52
GMT 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[root at mushroom yum.repos.d]#

CentOS 6.2

--