[CentOS] Mic Plugged into sound card not working

Mark LaPierre

marklapier at aol.com
Tue Jan 17 00:11:40 UTC 2012

Hey guys,

I have a mic plugged into my sound card.  It worked late last night but
not today.  When I try to select the mic using System/Preferences/Sound
I'm provided with several options to choose from.

On the Hardware tab I choose the Internal Audio device and set it to
Analog Stereo Duplex.

On the Input tab I choose Internal Audio Analog Stereo there are two
Analog Microphone Inputs, 1 and 2, to choose from.  Each of those inputs
has Microphone 1 and 2 to choose from.

When I try to record from the mic in Audacity I get a flat signal if I
choose Input 1 no matter which Microphone, 1 or 2, I choose.

If I choose Input 2, no matter which Microphone I choose, the wave form
freezes until I return the selection to Input 1.

alsamixer -c0 does not indicate any input settings being muted.  In fact
its indications change in response to changes in Sound Preferences and
Sound Preferences indications change in response to changes in alsamixer
-c0.

CentOS 6.2

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21

/proc/asound/cards
0 [V8237          ]: VIA8237 - VIA 8237
                      VIA 8237 with ALC655 at 0xd400, irq 22

/proc/asound/devices
   2:        : timer
   3:        : sequencer
   4: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
   5: [ 0- 1]: digital audio capture
   6: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
   7: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
   8: [ 0]   : control
   9: [ 1- 0]: digital audio capture
  10: [ 1]   : control
  11: [ 2- 0]: digital audio playback
  12: [ 2- 0]: digital audio capture
  13: [ 2]   : control

/proc/asound/pcm
00-00: VIA 8237 : VIA 8237 : playback 4 : capture 1
00-01: VIA 8237 : VIA 8237 : playback 1 : capture 1
01-00: USB Audio : USB Audio : capture 1
02-00: USB Audio : USB Audio : playback 1 : capture 1

I tested the mic by plugging it into my wife's XP machine.  The mic
works fine but the XP machine doesn't.

Very frustrated.  Anyone have any idea what else I can check?

--
     _
    °v°