[CentOS] CentOS and LessFS

Hugh E Cruickshank hugh at forsoft.com
Tue Jan 17 05:26:45 UTC 2012

From: Les Mikesell Sent: January 16, 2012 20:55
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 5:50 PM, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> >
> > If not LessFS can you suggest an alternate deduplication software?
>
> Backuppc dedups (and compresses) at the file level using hardlinks.
> Not quite as effective  as a block level if you have frequent small
> changes in large files, but still very good with no unusual filesystem
> requirements other than keeping the whole archive on one filesystem.
> It will link all identical content, whether from the same or different
> systems and it's rsync implementation can work with local compressed
> copies while chatting with a stock remote version.

Hi Les:

Trust you to always come up with an interesting suggestion or two. I
will have a further look at this but, on first blush, I do not think
that this will be very effective in our environment. We will be backing
up several small databases 1-8 GB each along with the related programs
from our development system, out users home directories which include
their Outlook PST files, Word/Excel files, etc. While the compression
should work for all files I can not see the dedup working for much
beyond the Word/Excel files. We will definitely have a look at it.

Thanks for you suggestion.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com