[CentOS] Dedicated Firewall/Router

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Tue Jan 17 08:02:01 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Laurent Wandrebeck
<l.wandrebeck at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 18:18:26 -0600
> Tom Bishop <bishoptf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I would get a dell r210 from the outlet site and then load pfsense,
>> been running in multiple locations, solid and works great.
> Do NOT use pfsense if you have to use realtek cards. I used to (1.2.3
> and 2.0.1), and lost connection regularly, need to reboot to get it
> back…
> Flee realtek as much as you can :)

You shouldn't be using realtek NIC's in a production, or even just a
large-ish server environment in anycase. Rather use Intel.

Back to the topic though, how does one guarantee 100% uptime on the
firewall level when you use a standard dedicated server? Even if the
server (Dell / Intell / SuperMicro / you name it...) has redundant
PSU's and HDD's, there could still be hardware failure. And, unless
you buy 3 or 4 at a time, you may run into a where once you pop the
HDD into a new (standby?) chassis that something may not be compatible
and the firewall might be down for a few minutes, or even hours while
you search for a solution on the internet, or with the hardware
vendor.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers