[CentOS] ia32-libs for 64 bit CentOS

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Jan 17 08:49:54 UTC 2012

On 01/16/12 11:05 PM, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> If the script you are running is hardcoded to require ia32-libs, then
> that install method is not compatible with CentOS. You probably will
> have to read the script's code to see whether it fits CentOS.

indeed, the install.pl in zdesktop seems to want to do this..

     IA32Warning => "WARNING: ia32-libs is missing for x86_64 platform.
This package is required to run Zimbra Desktop on 64-bit Linux."

     if (($arch eq 'x86_64') && !(-d '/usr/share/doc/ia32-libs')) {
         print get_message('IA32Warning'), "\n\n";
     }

(if the system architecture is x86_64 then if the directory
/usr/share/doc/ia32-libs does not exist, print the Warning, but continue
with the install)

and, AFAIK, nothing in any RH derived system will create that folder.

# yum provides /usr/share/doc/ia32-libs
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
  * base: mirrors.login.com
  * extras: mirrors.login.com
  * updates: yum.singlehop.com
base/filelists_db
| 5.8 MB     00:09
cr/filelists_db
|  584 B     00:00
extras/filelists_db
| 2.4 kB     00:00
pgdg90/filelists_db
| 118 kB     00:00
updates/filelists_db
| 451 kB     00:01
No Matches found

it appears the app is written in Java and the installer includes its own JRE

so, I ran the install.pl, and poked around and found its JRE, so I tried
to run the java JRE it installed

     $ /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/jre/bin/java -version
     -bash: /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/jre/bin/java: /lib/ld-linux.so.2:
bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory

hookoay.   yum provides /lib/ld-linux.so.2 tells me, I need glibc.i686
.. so...

     # yum install glibc.i686

and voila, now its built in java works...

     $ /opt/zimbra/zdesktop/linux/jre/bin/java -version
     java version "1.6.0_16"
     Java(TM) Platform, Standard Edition for Business (build 1.6.0_16-b01)
     Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.2-b01, mixed mode)

It may very well work now, but it may need additional libraries, you'll
find that out when you exercise the application.   I won't be surprised
if it needs some 32bit X client stuff.