[CentOS] anyone doing automatic yum updates via yum-updatesd on production servers?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 23:41:37 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:14 PM, P J <pauljflists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback guys, I agree about best practices but it's nice to
> get direct feedback from your peers.

In general it is very, very rare for an update to break anything -
after all that is the whole point of the 'enterprise' distribution and
it is well tested upstream.  However, it is still possible, especially
if you have local apps and modifications, and it is very difficult to
back out any changes the updates make so it is always best to test on
a similar system before making changes on a production box where
downtime would be a problem.   For boxes that are internet exposed,
I'd consider it more dangerous to go for long intervals with no
updates than to auto-update, though.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com