[CentOS] Java+Tomcat on CentOS 6.x

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 00:06:38 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 4:40 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> So whats good practice for installing Java/JDK and Tomcat for EL6 these
> days?   The base repository included Tomcat6.6 is built with GCJ which
> I'd rather avoid. I'm fine with using OpenJDK ... Do most folks just use
> the Apache tarball for Tomcat and install it in a user directory or
> /opt/something ?

I didn't do anything special and ps says /usr/lib/jvm/java/bin/java is
running it.  And
/usr/lib/jvm/java/bin/java -version
 says
java version "1.6.0_22"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.10.4) (rhel-1.42.1.10.4.el6_2-x86_64)

Maybe you do have to install java-1.6.0-openjdk if it hasn't been
pulled in by something else - and it should set alternatives to use
itself.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com