[CentOS] CentOS and LessFS

Nataraj incoming-centos at rjl.com
Wed Jan 18 03:29:07 UTC 2012

On 01/17/2012 04:59 PM, John R Pierce wrote:

>> I am interested in backuppc, however from what I read online it appears
>> that zfs is a very featureful robust  high performance filesystem that
>> is heavily used in production environments.
> ZFS is very memory intensive on larger file systems.  I believe they
> recommend on the order of 1GB ram per terabyte of storage for decent
> performance.
I think that is not so unreasonable for the features you are getting.  I
wonder if it would be possible to put the file system data structures on
an SSD?  I also have read that it is a good idea to use ECC memory on
such a fileserver, but that's really true of any computer.  Undetected
memory errors will cause data loss.
> Personally, I would only run ZFS for any sort of production application
> on a Solaris 10/11 system where its natively supported, and then only
> with a support contract from Oracle.
I am inclined to agree.  If I was setting it up for a serious production
environment, I would bite the bullet and run Solaris as well.
> When its good, its very good, when its bad, its reformat and restore
> from backup time...

We'll maybe I'll live with backuppc for now.

Nataraj