[CentOS] anyone doing automatic yum updates via yum-updatesd on production servers?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 13:51:14 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 4:15 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 01/18/2012 08:05 AM, Sorin Srbu wrote:
>>> I would like to expand on this a little.  Once you get a certain
>>> number of machine it probably makes sense to have your own internal
>>> mirror.
>>
>> Is there any particular approximate number of machines you'd say this would
>> apply to?
>
> based on personal experience, I'd say that number was at the '9' mark.
> Once you go double digit, and you have those many machines in one
> location, a local repo is the way to go. Perhaps then with one of them (
> either a machine or a VM instance ) doing auto nightly updates, and
> running a test to make sure all is still well and sending out a small
> email to the admin with a OK or 'Trouble found in updates'

I've always thought yum should have its own 'reproducible updates'
concept so you could  update a test machine, then tell all the others
to update to exactly that state even if some new things had been added
to the repositories - without having to make complete snapshots of
repositories containing stuff you don't even have installed just to
hold the state.  That is, that should have been a design goal for yum
since that is the way people should manage multiple machines - and yum
does sort-of know how to do that if you specify every package version
number.   But it really should just need a timestamp of the latest
thing in the repo at the time of the test/master update and  ignore
anything newer when you want it repeated.

---
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com