[CentOS] Wrong PV UUID

Muhammad Panji

sumodirjo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 09:56:28 UTC 2012

Dear All,
I have one VG with one LV inside consist of four disk (and four PV) somehow
the UUID is changed. I try to restore with the last known good
configuration and use

pvcreate --uuid xxx --restorefile xxx

but I think when I first time do it I did use wrong UUID for two device.
but haven't only using command above and haven't used vgcfgrestore. After
carefully read the configuration, using hdparm to know device serial number
I think I have assign the right UUID for each device. I succesfully use
vgcfgrestore, but I cannot mount the device (unknown filesystem, bad
superblock, etc). My questions are, is my first attempt to assigning
(wrong) UUID make all the LVM corrupt? I see that all LE and PE is still
there, the VG and LV size is right but still I cannot mount the volume. Is
this just a bad filesystem or the data really gone? Thank you.
Regards,

--
-----
Muhammad Panji