[CentOS] doing a new install on top of existing software raid-1

fred smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Jan 19 21:30:06 UTC 2012

Hi all!

One of these days I'm going to upgrade my centos 5.7 box (which is
currently configured with raid-1 on two drives) to 6.x.

i've been given to believe that I should be able to do a fresh install
on top of the existing raid setup, i.e., without having to re-create
the raid array, but just use the existing setup.

and somewhere in the last few days (in this list I think) someone posted
that Anaconda should detect the existing raid array and allow you to re-
use it for a new install.

so just as an experiment, I booted up the 6.2 DVD (not live) and took it
as far as where it sets up the partitioning. So, was I unduly surprised
when it DID NOT detect the existing raid? well, a little. more in the
category of NOT ENTIRELY PLEASED, actually.

I'd appreciate it if someone who knows something about linux hardware
raid, and its intersection with Anaconda, could drop a few clues in my
direction.

thanks in advance!

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding