[CentOS] doing a new install on top of existing software raid-1

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Sat Jan 21 23:20:00 UTC 2012

On 01/19/2012 01:30 PM, fred smith wrote:
> and somewhere in the last few days (in this list I think) someone posted
> that Anaconda should detect the existing raid array and allow you to re-
> use it for a new install.
>
> so just as an experiment, I booted up the 6.2 DVD (not live) and took it
> as far as where it sets up the partitioning. So, was I unduly surprised
> when it DID NOT detect the existing raid? well, a little. more in the
> category of NOT ENTIRELY PLEASED, actually.

I'm probably the person that you're referring to.  Anaconda has to be
able to detect existing RAID sets in order to perform upgrades.

In order for Anaconda to present you with the existing sets, you must
select an upgrade (in which case you won't see any partitioning stage)
or you must use the graphical installer and select "Create custom
layout".  The text mode installer can no longer do this.