[CentOS] weird XFS problem

Boris Epstein borepstein at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 19:53:28 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Miguel Medalha <miguelmedalha at sapo.pt>wrote:

>> You are right - it would indeed be desirable to have more than 3 GB of
>> RAM on that system. However it is not obvious to me that having that little
>> RAM should cause I/O failure? Why? That it would make the machine slow is
>> to be expected - and especially so given that I had to jack the swap up to
>> some 40 GB. But I do not necessarily see why I should have outright
>> failures due solely to not having more RAM.
>>

> If I were you, I would be monitoring the system's memory usage. Maybe some
> software component has a memory leak which keeps worsening until a reboot
> cleans it.
> Also, I wouldn't discard the possibility of a physical memory problem. Can
> you test it?

Miguel, thanks!

All that you are saying makes perfect sense. I have tried monitoring the
system to see if any memory hogs emerge and found no obvious culprits thus
far. I.e., there are processes running that consume large volumes or RAM
but none that seem to keep growing overtime. Or at least I failed to locate
such processes thus far.

As for testing the RAM - it is always a good test when in doubt. Too bad
you have to stop your machine in order to do it and for that reason I
haven't done it yet. Though this is on the short list of things to try.

Boris.