[CentOS] CentOS and LessFS

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 20:51:19 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com> wrote:

> If this is only a 1-2 year temporary solution and the backups will be discarded once a permanent solution is obtained then I'm sure it will be OK.
>
> If your thinking of building a long-term backup solution this way then your building your castles on a foundation of sand. As backup sets grow and hardware/software ages you may find yourself in a technological dead-end unable to migrate the data off and unable to continue going forward.

On the other hand, if you have a predictable churn of high performance
production boxes being replaced every few years, tossing a few new big
cheap drives into a still nice but retired server and starting over is
a very attractive option.  You don't need to migrate anything - just
keep the old box around until the replacement has the history you need
to keep.

> Buy a Data Domain, Exagrid or Falconstor backup storage appliance with builtin compression/de-duplication that is fully supported and has a viable upgrade path. Use a good centralized backup platform such as netbackup, networker, etc. The investment made in backup is an investment in the business' future.

There's a place for those, but probably not for someone who doesn't
even want to buy new drives.

--
     Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com