[CentOS] Machine becoming irresponsive

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 16:29:17 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 7:39 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not my box, but I may have opportunity to look at it. After going
> through dmesg and messages, if I don't find anything obvious, what
> should I start looking for?

Forwarding on behalf of Mark whose emails are being rejected:

Patrick Lists wrote:
> On 23-01-12 16:13, Dotan Cohen wrote:
<snip>
> There is no other option than to reinstall the box with 5.7 (or whatever
the latest is) and *always* update the box. I would also throw out that
"specific software". Vendors who force you to stay with a version of an
OS that no longer gets security updates should be avoided at all cost.

And, for that matter, if it's in-house software, you managers are going to
*have* to bite the bullet and spend the money to have your in-house people
fix the software so that it is compatible with current releases.

Beyond that, how do you *know* that it's not compatible with 5.7? Have you
tried it on a 5.7 box? At least bring up a 5.7 VM and try it. If you don't
have one, you really, really need to have a test system - if your managers
have had development and test done on a production box, and they don't
understand why this is bad, then I might recommend looking for another
job, where they're not amateurs, in the worst sense of the word.

       mark