[CentOS] rpc.statd: gethostbyname error for ...

Toralf Lund

toralf.lund at pgs.com
Tue Jan 24 09:06:05 UTC 2012

Hi,

Lately, the system log on my CentOS 5 box, with all the latest updates,
have started filling up with messages of the form:

Jan 24 09:47:26 i58524 rpc.statd[3452]: gethostbyname error for i58524
Jan 24 09:47:26 i58524 rpc.statd[3452]: STAT_FAIL to i58524 for SM_MON
of 10.30.39.59
Jan 24 09:47:26 i58524 kernel: lockd: cannot monitor 10.30.39.59

It does not seem like there is really anything wrong with the hosts
setup, though - the gethostbyname call in question works appears just
fine in other programs. Does anyone have any idea what may be going on?

Note: i58524 is the local hostname, 10.30.39.59 is the IP address of an
NFS server I'm using actively (so nothing suspicious, there.)

- Toralf

This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.