[CentOS] Dovecot under CentOS-6

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 15:43:33 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 9:36 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> OK, I assume there was something wrong with my sendmail/procmail setup,
> so that all mail went to /var/spool/mail/~ .
>
> The fact remains that I want to filter this email as I would
> if it were arriving from outside.
>
> I installed mutt on the new server,
> and found that 95% of the messages in /var/spool/mail
> were basically locally sent error messages.
>
> But about 40 messages remain.
>
> To repeat my original query:
> ----------------------------------
> Now I'm wondering if there is some way
> that I can re-direct the mail in /var/spool/mail/<mymbox>
> so that it goes through the system as though it were just arriving?
> I mean, so that it gets distributed into the correct folders
> under ~/Maildir , as specified in .procmailrc .
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received.

Any imap client can move mail between folders, whether local or on
different hosts/accounts.   Connect with one, move the existing
messages somewhere else (a local client folder if you don't have
another imap account where you can make a folder to park them), then
reconfigure your procmail and dovecot to use maildir format, and move
them back.  With a GUI mail agent this is normally a select/drag/drop
operation.  Not sure how/if you can do it in mutt.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com