[CentOS] Problem with procmail

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Jan 25 23:48:09 UTC 2012

Bart Schaefer wrote:

>> I'm trying to setup email on a new server running CentOS-6.2 (x86_64),
>> but for some reason email is going to /var/spool/mail/
>> despite the fact that my .procmailrc starts
>> -------------------------------
>> DEFAULT=/var/spool/mail
>> MAILDIR=/home/tim/Maildir/
>> SHELL=/bin/sh
>> DROPPRIVS=yes
>> -------------------------------
>
> DEFAULT sets where the mail will be delivered.  MAILDIR is the current
> working directory and only affects explicit delivery rules that use
> relative pathnames for maiboxes.  The use of "MAILDIR" in procmail
> predates DJB's choice of "maildir" as the name of a mailbox format and is
> not
> related.  This has caused a lot of confusion over the years ...
>
> You probably want:
>
> ORGMAIL=/var/spool/mail
> MAILDIR=/home/tim/Maildir
> DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/

Thanks very much; you have solved my problem.

I can't think how I overlooked that.
I was comparing the two .procmailrc's, on the old server and the new,
and was convinced that they were the same.
But now I see
[tim at blanche tmp]$ diff .procmailrc procmailrc
5,6c5,6
< MAILDIR=/var/spool/mail
< DEFAULT=/home/tim/Maildir/
---