[CentOS] Can anyone talk infrastructure with me?

Raymond Lillard ryl at sonic.net
Fri Jan 27 00:14:18 UTC 2012

On 01/26/2012 03:43 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 01/26/2012 09:09 AM, Jason T. Slack-Moehrle wrote:
>> They advertise the starting "Business T" at 1.5Mbps per second
>> They advertise the ADSL2+ 2 lines at up to 40Mbps per second.
>> Am I mis-understanding that the cost for a T seems high, but a better
>> option for me than getting their ADSL2+ service? I mean, is the "T"
>> faster over all given it is all my traffic and I am not sharing?
>> Can you explain a bit so I can develop a better understanding of how
>> they advertise speeds, etc?
>
> Yes, the cost for a T1 will seem very high.  It is antiquated telco
> tech.  T1s are generally very reliable, but very very slow.

Yes they are indeed slow and reliable.  That said, on the
rare occasion they do go out, they get repaired quickly.
This may not not be true in you case, but usually T1 lines
are tariffed with guaranteed uptimes if you ask the right
questions and read the fine print.

I have had clients on DSL be down for a few days while the
telco got a round tuit.

There are two reasons T1 is more expensive.  T1 requires
2 copper pairs in the cable.  Those 2 pairs not available
for voice traffic.  The other reason is the uptime
requirements.

DSL, while faster, does not preclude using the pair for voice
traffic, uses a single copper pair and has no uptime commitments.

If T1 can meet your bandwidth needs and budget constraints,
it could still be your best solution.  The good news is,
you get to decide.