[CentOS] fsck

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Jan 27 20:21:45 UTC 2012

On 01/27/2012 11:19 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>> On 01/25/2012 10:46 AM, Steve Clark wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> We are running units in the field that are headless. Sometimes we get units returned
>>> that we when we boot them up have some type of filesystem inconsistency that the default preen
>>> doesn't fix but running fsck -y does.
>>>
>>> I want to eliminate the -p (preen option) and always do the -y option anyone know where
>>> to make this change?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>> You can create a file called:
>>
>> /etc/sysconfig/autofsck
>>
>> inside there you need the following lines:
>>
>> AUTOFSCK_DEF_CHECK=yes
>> AUTOFSCK_OPT="-y"
>>
>> That should take away all options except "-f" and use the ones you put
>> in AUTOFSCK_OPT.
> Thanks!  Is that something we should have found in the documentation?
>  I've always wondered why it wasn't the default.  It is always painful
> when headless/remote machines fail to boot because of this, and the
> odds of anyone knowing more than fsck does about repairing a file
> system are essentially zero.

The reason it is not the default in CentOS is because it is not the
default in RHEL.

As to why it is not the default in RHEL, I can't say for sure ... BUT
... -y (auto answer yes) is more dangerous that -p (preen).  The
definition of preen is "to automatically fix any filesystem problems
that can be safely fixed without human intervention".  When you do -y
instead, it answers yes to everything ... including things that can't be
fixed "without human intervention".  That is not necessarily the safest
thing to do.  If you choose to do this, make sure you have good backups :D