[CentOS] After a long break, one more try at bond/bridge nics

Bob Hoffman

bob at bobhoffman.com
Fri Jan 27 22:16:23 UTC 2012

took a couple months off due to road blocks, hoping a fresh look would
allow me to use my server as desired.

I have three ports, eth0-2 over two nics.
I want to bond them, and then use a bridge to connect to virtual
machines on the virtual host computer.
Never having done this, I am confused on some parts.

Here is where I am at now and any pointers helpful. Single server,
centos 6.x
My issue is do I add the ip address of the virtual host and where?
Do I not add any of the ip addresses of the virtual machines? (thus they
will be looked for via the bridge?)
Each virtual machine will be getting its own ip address as it will be
used for a website.

here is the basic configuration I am looking at, with some things not
added like hwaddress and a few tweaks (zeroconf?)

am I even close? I admit I have never done this and have no mentor other
than this exceptional mailing list.

============================
/etc/modprobe.conf
alias bond0 bonding
options bond0 mode=balance-alb miimon=100
============================

============================
bond0
DEVICE=bond0
BOOTPROTO=none
BRIDGE=br0
ONBOOT=yes
BONDING_OPTS="mode=1 miimon=100 primary=eth0"
============================

============================
br0
DEVICE=br0
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR=<my virtual host IP address?>
NETWORK=xxx.xx.xx.xxx
BROADCAST=xxx.xx.xx.xx
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
GATEWAY=xx.xxx.xxx.xx
============================

I did not add the hwaddress to the items below.
eth0
DEVICE=eth0
USERCTL=no
ONBOOT=yes