[CentOS] Can anyone talk infrastructure with me?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Jan 28 17:27:02 UTC 2012

On Thursday, January 26, 2012 06:43:55 PM Gordon Messmer wrote:
> 1.5Mbps is not faster than 40Mbps.  There's nothing hidden in the way
> they advertise speeds.

Speed != bandwidth.

That '40Mb/s' connection is surely massively oversubscribed, whereas the 1.5Mb/s DS1 won't be (the tariff here states clearly that a DS1 data connection cannot be oversubscribed).

This infrastructure thread is pretty amusing.... I especially enjoyed the 30,000 square feet number Karanbir quoted, since that's exactly how much aggregate raised floor space I have on-campus.....and it reminded me of the day I was asked about providing a 1PB array for a user.... who had no clue how much such a thing would cost, how much room it would occupy, how much power it would use, and how much it would weigh.  He chose instead to use rotated LTO-3 tapes in multiple changers, only keeping the 'interesting' data he generated.  As it happened, his project in its lifetime did generate close to a PB of data at 2-4TB per day, IIRC (but it has been a few years).