[CentOS] confidence in partitioning tool (6.2)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 16:45:14 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:

>> If you have space somewhere to save a backup, you can boot a
>> clonezilla-live CD and do a disk->image copy that will save your
>> current partitioning and content.  It can connect to the image storage
>> via nfs, windows file sharing, or ssh, and it knows enough about most
>> filesystems including ntfs to only save the used portions of the
>> partitions.
>
> No, I don't think there's space for that.

The space could be on just about any drive - local/external or
anywhere you have network write access.  It's not likely you will
break things with the CentOS installer, but backups are always a good
thing.

As someone else mentioned, VMware is also a good alternative and has
the advantage that you don't have to stop running windows to boot
Linux.   I think VMware Player is the free version instead of
workstation, though, unless something has changed recently.  But
Player is now capable of creating VMs so it is suitable for that kind
of use.  With a little extra work you can combine a dual-boot with
VMware Player so you can run it either way - my own laptap is set up
that way, but I've forgotten the exact details.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com