[CentOS] confidence in partitioning tool (6.2)

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Mon Jan 30 19:46:38 UTC 2012

On 01/30/2012 08:19 PM, Larry Martell wrote:
>> do they all run with dual-booting Windows/CentOS systems? is their
>> >  environment filled with laptops running CentOS?
> This is a new system, but yes, it will be deployed on laptops running CentOS.

My suggestion, and I am assuming you are not very proficient with Linux
partition/backup tools . So, download Hiren's Boot, go to Windows XP
environment and create "ghost" image of the entire disk. You should be
able to do it with DriveXML app. Reserve solution is DOS mode and
running some other backup app. Make sure you also backup MBR.

Make sure created backup is safe on some external storage.

Some backup apps are outdated for W7 NTFS, but Hiren's will warn you if
you choose such app.

P.S. Hiren's CD also has Linux mode, with Parted and few backup apps,
for linux.

If you need to resize NTFS partition, do it from Windows/DOS app from
Hiren's Boot. Linux without NTFS support will not be ableto do it, and
even with support I would avoid such solution. That same App can create
free space you need for CentOS and boot partition.
Linux boot partition must be one of the primary partitions (first 3 if I
recall correctly), so create a boot partition (best size is > 500 Mb,
just to be on the safe side and have root for the future. absolute
minimum is 200MB in my opinion). Then you can create Extended partitons.
Even Win7 now uses separate ~100MB sized partition and other partitions
can be Extended ones.

P.S. I also like to create Windows swap partition and move sap file
there, for smaller fragmentation of the file system.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...