[CentOS] confidence in partitioning tool (6.2)

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Mon Jan 30 22:01:53 UTC 2012

On 01/30/12 1:22 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> You can Ghost the partition with the software that allows to reduce the
> partition when getting it back, so you ghost, delete and rectreate the
> partitions, and get the ghosted partition back in smaller space.

I usually use Acronis TrueImage ($$) to do this for Windows NTFS
volumes.    make a partition image on a seperate device, then delete and
repartition the disk into whatever you want, then restore that partition
image to the resized volume.    note that in TrueImage (and in Ghost), a
'partition image' is more like a exfs 'dump', its really a file by file
backup, done at the NTFS equivalent of an inode level.

I strongly dislike and distrust any tool that attempts to do in-place
partition resizing, the results are rarely optimal and if anything goes
wrong, you lose the whole mess.   With the image, repartition, restore
technique, every step is restartable and you have a full backup.