[CentOS] confidence in partitioning tool (6.2)

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 05:29:56 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Windows 7 laptop that I want to make dual boot with CentOS
> 6.2. My plan was to use the Windows Disk Management tool to partition
> the disk, but I do not have the needed admin rights on the box to use
> that.

In a way it is good that you don't have admin access for Windows 7
(which BTW can be solved with many of the system rescue CDs out
there).

On one install of Windows 7, the partition manager of the Windows 7
installer left a gap of about 70MB in the middle of it's 100MB admin
partition and the main C: partition.  I  don't know the rationale
behind it but there was a 70MB of disk space of not much practical use
to anybody.    Some may argue that 70MB may be small change in a 500GB
disk but to me it is 70MB of wasted space that could be part of some
other partition.

Use it at your own risk.

I realigned the partitions with Gparted.  Windows 7 complained the FS
needed to repaired.  I popped in the Win 7 DVD, repaired it's FS and
it booted fine.

-- Arun Khan