[CentOS] One of my servers wont boot today

Paul (GPR Support) paul at gpr.co.za
Tue Jan 31 07:40:43 UTC 2012

Another possible way of getting backup superblock info is with

# mke2fs -n /dev/<your device>

And then use this with

#e2fsck -b <backup block> /dev/<your device>

mke2fs with the -n switch, runs as though it would create a new filesystem
without actually writing anything to disk. So it tells you where it would
put the backup superblocks if it were to run in full filesystem creation
mode. This means that if you use different parameters from the ones used in
actually creating the file system to begin with, you may get the wrong
backup superblock info. Nothing should break by doing this anyway.