[CentOS] confidence in partitioning tool (6.2)

John Doe jdmls at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 31 15:14:25 UTC 2012

From: Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com>

> On Tuesday 31 January 2012 05:34:21 Larry Martell wrote:
>>  I can't even defrag the disk without admin rights :-(
>>  I'm going to make one more push to get admin, and if not, just go
>>  ahead and install CentOS and see what happens.
> Beware that resizing a Windows partition which has not been defrag'ed
> is a Bad Idea, and works only if you are lucky enough that Windows
> didn't use the end-portion of the partition. Maybe it will work on a freshly
> installed and not-ever-seriously-used Windows, but it's a gamble.

I do not think that Windows basic defragging tool still moves all files bits to the
begining of the partition...  It believe it just puts the bits of the same file in a
sequential order (maybe also put directories entries at the beginning?) and
that's it.  Other defrag utilities might do it though.
I would check with a "disk mapper" that displays files location on a disk
graphically (I think there is maybe one in the sysinternal tools)...

JD