[CentOS] rsync from rescue boot

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 21:58:43 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs> wrote:
> On 01/31/2012 09:47 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> No, I'm trying to have rsync make an outbound connection over ssh from
>> the rescue environment and getting what looks like an argument error
>> from ssh.   Ssh itself works and I can connect to the same target if I
>> run it directly, and the exact same rsync command lines work from a
>> normal host.  Either rsync isn't setting up the remote command right,
>> or ssh isn't allowing it and giving a bad error message.
>
> How about something like
>
> tar cvf - . | gzip -c -1 | ssh user at host cat ">" remotefile.gz
>
> to get the filesystem across the ssh?

I'm going the other direction (originating the command from the rescue
host), but yes, tar works over ssh, and and ssh works by itself.  The
part that doesn't work is ssh when invoked by rsync, either by default
or with an explicit '-essh' argument, and the error message looks like
an ssh argument error so it doesn't even prompt for the password.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com