[CentOS] rsync from rescue boot

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 22:14:03 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 4:01 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs>
>> wrote:
> <snip>
>> I'm going the other direction (originating the command from the rescue
>> host), but yes, tar works over ssh, and and ssh works by itself.  The
>> part that doesn't work is ssh when invoked by rsync, either by default
>> or with an explicit '-essh' argument, and the error message looks like
>> an ssh argument error so it doesn't even prompt for the password.
>
> AUGH! I think I have it: are the versions of rsync on the rescue instance
> and the other server the same?

It's not getting that far.  I'm getting an error trying to start the
local ssh.  And at this point I have working VM from the tar copy,
_except_ that it isn't matching a driver to the virtual NIC.  I'm glad
I'm not restoring a real backup with a dead machine here...

Since I don't need this today, I think I'll  try ReaR to see if it
gets it right.  It builds a bootable iso that is supposed to
re-install on bare metal.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com